Sabtu, 11 Juni 2011

PRESENT CONDITIONAL SENTENCE OR TYPE 2

IF Clause Type 2

Form

if + Simple Past, main clause with Conditional I (= would + Infinitive)
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
The main clause can also be at the beginning of the sentence. In this case, don't use a comma.
Example: I would send her an invitation if I found her address.
Note: Main clause and / or if clause might be negative. See Simple Past und Conditional I on how to form negative sentences.
Example: If I had a lot of money, I wouldn’t stay here.

Were instead of Was

In IF Clauses Type II, we usually use ‚were‘ – even if the pronoun is I, he, she or it –.
Example: If I were you, I would not do this.

Use

Conditional Sentences Type II refer to situations in the present. An action could happen if the present situation were different. I don't really expect the situation to change, however. I just imagine „what would happen if …“
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.
I would like to send an invitation to a friend. I have looked everywhere for her address, but I cannot find it. So now I think it is rather unlikely that I will eventually find her address.
Example: If John had the money, he would buy a Ferrari.
I know John very well and I know that he doesn't have much money, but he loves Ferraris. He would like to own a Ferrari (in his dreams). But I think it is very unlikely that he will have the money to buy one in the near future.

xercise on Conditional Sentences Type 2

Janine is a daydreamer. She imagines what would happen if she won the lottery.
Complete the Conditional Sentences Type II.
  1. If I...... the lottery, I ........a chance to hit the jackpot.
  2. If I ......the jackpot, I ......rich.
  3. If I......rich, my life .........completely.
  4. I ....... a lonely island, if I .......a nice one.
  5. If I ........a lonely island, I.............a huge house by the beach.
  6. I ..........all my friends if I ..........a house by the beach.
  7. I .........my friends up in my yacht if they ......... to spend their holidays on my island.
  8. We ........ great parties if my friends ........to my island.
  9. If we........ to go shopping in a big city, we .........a helicopter.
  10. But if my friends' holidays .........over, I ...........very lonely on my lonely island.

1 komentar: